Smart Alert — A Network Engineer’s Guide to Boosting Your Network IQ
The following outline is Logicalis Network Engineer, triple CCIE Frank Bogucanin’s 5-step checklist of opportunities to boost a network’s IQ.
- End-to-end Security Architectures
- Identity-based Network Access Control services provide network-wide creation, distribution, and monitoring of security policies based on contextual knowledge—including user authentication, device profiling, policy enforcement, posture assessment, and remediation.
- Universal access user clients facilitate network access, user authentication, remote VPN access, and content filtering enforcement.
- Network awareness of media rich applications
- Deployment, optimization, monitoring, and troubleshooting of growing rich media applications on the network (i.e., video).
- Intelligent network devices automatically identify applications, apply appropriate QoS, and optimize communications via interaction of applications, like web conferencing, with network devices.
- Integrated application tools on network devices allow simulation of interactive sessions to test network capacity (i.e., IP SLAs), and provide path and performance monitoring for live rich media sessions.
- Centralized network management tools allow network operations staff to select the type of intelligent network to prepare and provision, and automatically prepare the network for deployment.
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)
- VDI facilitates desktop licensing, central desktop management from data centers, and reduction in energy consumption, etc.
- Technology overlays improve their performance and user experience for rich media applications (i.e., voice and video).
- Network provisioning, management, and monitoring
- Workflow-based tools enable zero-touch deployment of network infrastructure—wired, wireless, remote, PCs, laptops/desktops, tablets, and smartphones. This enables IT to focus on more strategic tasks like network planning and new solution deployment.
- Cloud computing consumption models (public, private, and hybrid)
- Technologies that ensure security, performance, and availability